How to Brew Coffee With Chemex (Pour Over Brewers)
Learn how to brew the perfect pot of coffee with a Chemex or any other pour over coffee maker by following these simple steps.
- Heat your water in your tea kettle…now your coffee kettle!
- TIP: Either measure out the exact amount of water you’ll need (the capacity of your Chemex), or place the Chemex on a digital scale, tare, and stop adding water when the scale reads whatever your Chemex’s water capacity is.
- While your water heats, measure one scoop/Tablespoon of whole beans per cup of water. If you have a scale you can weigh out 8 grams of coffee per 5 ounce cup.
- Grind your beans. Shoot for a medium grind.
- Place a filter in your Chemex and pour about 1 cup of water through the filter, making sure to wet the entire thing. (This preheats the Chemex and also extracts some of the paper flavor from the filter).
- Pour your coffee into the filter.
- Saturate the coffee until it is just wet (but does not begin to drip) and “blooms.” Coffee will only bloom if fresh. (Now’s a good time to inhale the wonderful aroma of your coffee). Let sit for 1 minute.
- Begin to gently pour water over the coffee, working in a spiral, going from the outermost to innermost area. Do not fill to the top of the Chemex.
- Let some water drip through, then continue pouring water in the same manner, until you reach capacity.
- Once the water has finished filtering through the grounds, remove the filter, pour, and enjoy.
- TIP: To keep the coffee hot, pour remainder into an insulated carafe or thermos.
Not sure what coffee equipment you need? Find out on our Required Coffee Equipment page.